Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Summer Gingerbread

I read about this recipe here and just HAD to try it. My husband had a coworker who is leaving this week and shared that he used to love a gingerbread lemon cake his mom made for him growing up. I thought these would be the perfect going away gift... something different, delicious, and deceptively easy to make. This was my first time making anything "gingerbread" and I have to admit I was a little scared, but they came out delicious. I highly recommend you make them today, or better yet let me know and I'll make you some because this recipe is some of the tastiest bowl licking material ever made.

P.S. There were only 3 cookies left when I got home so I had to get a picture QUICK before they all disappeared, sorry there isn't a better shot of them all (for reference, I made half of her recipe and it made 24 cookie sandwiches).

1 comment:

  1. Hey there Monica!!!

    I'm the fellow for whom you did the awesome favor of making these incredibly yummy lemon gingerbread cookies! I just wanted to say thanks so VERY much for some of the tastiest cookies I've enjoyed in quite some time... So decadent that it had folks descending on my desk just to get me to give them a precious sample... Really,...wow... That was amazingly nice of you make me what had to be one of the best going away treats I've ever received... From someone who believes food is love,...this was a torrid affair...

    These cookies truly combined two of my favorite flavors, and just like you said, totally reminded me of home. When I was a kid, my mom used to make this amazing dessert that consisted of two simple things combined together... She'd start with a really easy-but-spicy-and-rich gingerbread cake recipe, bake that sucker in the oven, and then, once it was out and cooling, create a super easy lemon sauce made of fresh lemon juice, sugar, and corn starch for thickener... This thick, clear sauce was then ladled steaming on each warm piece of gingerbread cake she served...

    I could easily have devoured the entire pan-full by myself... And the same went for that whole pan full of your cookies Karl brought me...

    YUM. YUM.

    As a pastry chef of many years with Simon David, I can attest that I was impressed...

    Likewise I must compliment you, in general, on your fine array of cookie-art successes that you've created, and which I've not only gotten to see images of, but have had the chance to sample as well... There's something awesome about art you can eat, and the stuff you've done has turned out great... All those flag cookies for Russel? Amazing AND delicious... I must have purchased nearly a dozen of them...

    Even when I decorated cakes for a living, I don't think I possessed a hand as steady as yours seems to be to achieve the kinds of details you are able to get with your icing art...

    My hat's off to you, my dear! I will spread the word about your craft to other friends of mine who have a similar interest in this sort of art.. And I'll certainly think of you the next time I want to get some special cookie creations done...

    Take care, thanks again,...and keep on baking!

    Scottie ^_^

    ReplyDelete